



What is the Kingdom of God? What comes to mind when you hear the phrase, 'the Kingdom of God'? I asked that question often, whilst recently teaching in Adelaide and Melbourne, Australia. Since returning to Latvia, the same question seems to pop up. However, the answers vary.
"the Kingdom of God is where He is King" - where He is allowed to rule and reign, in our lives, in a nation, etc.
"it's already here and not yet complete"
"it's God's ways"
"it's where God has ultimate rule and things are done as He wants - with love, compassion, justice, salvation, and mercy."
One thing that was common to all that answered was that articulating the fullness of the Kingdom of God in a phrase or sentence was challenging.
Lately, my thoughts have been focused on the Kingdom. We pray 'Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven". I've been imagining what things would be like if God's Kingdom - His ways, His values, His economy, His love, salvation, compassion, truth...were to infuse situations around me. What would it look like, and how can I be an instrument of being a part of seeing 'Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven'?
Above you see photos of the my neighbourhood from the view of my new apartment (on the top, 6th floor). This is reputed as one of the most dangerous areas of Riga. However, my perspective is it's a place where Jesus wants to come in and invade the lives and hearts of those that call 'Maskachka' (the diminutive name of the regoin) home. He wants to 'dwell - pitch His tent' here and point us to the Father. He wants to do it through me and others who follow Him in this area.
There are people I see every day. They are strangers, yet our paths cross on a daily or weekly basis. There is the elderly woman who sells small tissue packs on the street no matter what the weather; the drug dealer in an apartment in my building, the ladies that work in the shop on the ground floor, the gallery owners whose galleries I visit on a regular basis, the homeless person I may see passed out on a street in Riga, etc. What would it look like for God's Kingdom to 'come' into and permeate their lives?
God has been speaking to me about some very manageable and possible things to do...
Keep buying tissues from this woman, but stop and talk to her. She's got the time. After some time, ask to hear 'her story'. Maybe she'll share something that I can pray for, or simply bless her. Treat this drug dealer with respect and kindness. Perhaps she should be the recipient of a random act of kindness from me. Speak to the shop ladies, learn their names, and eventually ask about their stories. Everyone has a story - gallery owners, drug dealers, the homeless person on the street, and the person who lives in that 6th floor apartment. Each of us are created in God's image, and are therefore valuable. As the Orthodox Christians believe, because we are all made in the image of God, we are living icons...God can be seen in us...Jesus can be seen in us. "if you've done it unto the least of these, you've done it unto me" - Jesus. This is just the beginning in action, small steps that are a precursor to bigger things. However, God is going much deeper, challenging the way I think, going to what's truly at the core of what I believe to be true...to the way I see people, the way I treat people, and the way I perceive the possibilities of making a difference in seeing God's Kingdom come.
These steps may be small and a precursor to bigger things -
Art Day Camp for Children in this area of Riga
Hosting and participating with Intercession Teams for strategic prayer not only for artists and the arts community in which I work, but the community in which I live.
Fervent prayer for the people in this area.
I'm praying that God will shake things up in this place, and that we will see His Kingdom come and His will be done in Riga as it is in heaven.
3 comments:
Hi Elise,
Tried to get to your profile info but was unable to do so.
Any suggestions?
Would like to make up a half sheet of info for the church bulletin.
With love and prayer, Martie Ingham
mmmm, got me thinking... dam you, just when I wanted to be all selfish and think only about my self, you (and God) come and get me thinking about the bigger pic again... Thanks for the post
You are very right that we as Christians' need to get out into our communities and get to listen to,learn to know people, and their stories. As we get to know them we can share about God's love for them and also share our own stories of God's love and what He has been doing in our lives.
Thanks again for the confirmation that going to church in an area closer to home will help me to get to know people in my church and the people in my neighbourhood better.
Thanks again Elise and thanks for the continued friendship and communication.
Great to hear what you are accomplishing over there and that they are similar things to what we should be doing and taking more notice of here in Adelaide Australia.
Blessings Anna
Post a Comment