
In the recent weeks I've lived in 'Maskachka', my prayers have been asking God to 'shake' all that can be shaken; all that doesn't reflect His character, or the economy of His Kingdom. And that shaking, so that there can be rebuilding, restoration, and redemption. I've asked to have my eyes opened to see Him in the lives of others, and encourage those in whom God reveals Himself.
...my phone rang, and upon answering it, I stood up to walk around my apartment. Walking over to the window, I saw a Russian babushka lying in the street with a small crowd of people around her. Many people were on mobiles, so the assumption that the ambulance was called was safe.
To my surprise, those who were actively helping this woman were the community of Romani people (gypsy), who lived in the little shacks throughout the neighbourhood. A young girl quickly brought a jacket and gently placed it under her head. Her hand stroked her back, as she seemed to be offering words of comfort. A man brought a water bottle and gave her some water to drink. He too offered what must have been words of comfort.
In a matter of minutes, and just as I was heading downstairs to see if I could be of help, the ambulance arrived. The man who offered her water also helped the medics get her onto the gurney and into the ambulance. (In Latvia, there are 2 women and 1 man who work in the ambulance. Only the man does the lifting of the patient. Therefore, he needed some help.)
This man who was so helpful, also happens to be the head drug dealer in the area. How interesting that people who had just come from the church just passed by, and the 'least expected' were the ones to help.
At that moment, I saw God's character in the actions of this man and believe that this is a reflection of who God created this man to be.
I didn't get to help this woman, but I told him he was a very kind man, with a servant - heart. I pray that these words sunk deep into his heart...and that they would be a part of giving life and hope to him.
Proverbs 18:21 tells us that
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit."
I pray with these 'words of life', that this man in encouraged, that a he moves a step closer to getting to know the God who loves him, believes in him, and longs for requited relationship from him; and that this is just the beginning of many more words to encourage him.
...God continues to challenge me through the 'most unlikely'. And although my 'major' focus is in the area of the arts, God is teaching me much through the 'school of the unlikely'. I also believe His is establishing a level of authority for me to run an art day camp for children in this area. He is up to big things in my little neighbourhood.
2 comments:
You are looking for Him, it is so clear. Love the voiew from where you're standing! Blessings!
Very interesting, watching people's responses to the situation! Thanks for this story! Hope you're doing well!
Love Selena
Post a Comment