
The day ahead would hold many meetings and being indoors on such a lovely Spring day in Riga. Sunny days are often rare, although this Spring has proven to be filled with many of them. When the sun shines, everyone wants to be outdoors, myself included.
Whilst waiting for some of the staff to come for staff development training, I peered out my window with a slight sense of grief at my plight of being indoors. Then I noticed a man, seemingly homeless, lying face down on the corner. Blood was coming from his head, and he was convulsing. Before I could turn to get ready to go out and help him, I noticed a business man crossing the street. He passed the man, put down his briefcase next to the building, then turned to help him. As another man crossed the street, he joined the business man in helping him. Gently bringing the injured man away to a grassy area, one looked after the him, while one rang for the ambulance. They stayed with him until help would arrive. My response to this sight was overwhelming joy. 'Good Samaritans' were in our midst! It left me feeling inspired and filled with hope that things, indeed, are changing.
You see, Maskvas Forštate, known in slang terms as - Maskachka, it my neighbourhood. It means little Moscow. When you say this is the region where you live, it is often met with such statements as – “You are a foreigner, why would you want to live there? It’s so dangerous”, "Nothing good can come out of Maskachka, and no one good can come out of there" "It’s one of the most criminal and poorest neighbourhoods in Riga. It’s mostly undeveloped areas with prewar buildings and narrow cobblestone-covered streets. Junkies, bums and poor people make here the hightest crime rate in Riga."
…Later that evening, while taking a glance out the window, I saw the blood stained sidewalk, and remembered what I had witnessed. My attention was drawn to two women, arm in arm, walking very slowly down the street. One was disabled and unable to walk securely on her own. This woman’s sandal came off at one point, and I could see her struggling to get her friend to take her back the way they had just come. After some minutes, they turned around and headed back to get the sandal. A man walking toward them picked up the sandal. I expected him to just gently toss it on the ground in front of her. Instead, he knelt down, allowing the woman to put her hands on his shoulders for support, and he slipped it on her foot. There was an exchange of what seemed like a ‘thank you’ and ‘you’re welcome’, and off he went. Another small deed with a profound impact on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment