Tuesday, September 11, 2007

New Beginnings


It appears that the most recent steps in the journey are taking me down the road of technology in an attempt to better communicate the more meaningful facets of the journey of which so many of you are a part.

You are welcome to join me at any time. Whatever your pleasure to imbibe while you read, bring your cup, sit, and enjoy. Feel free to leave any words of wisdom, thoughts, questions, or comments along the way.
I hope you will visit often


I'm currently in Lativja, temporarily living in Jurmala, hoping to move to Riga soon. Truly the beginnings are new. God is leading me to 'pitch my tent', 'dwell among' and serve to translate the reality of who God is to and through the arts community here in Riga. I feel ill-equipped and underqualified, and experience poor...but isn't that how God usually works, with the likes of these? This way, He gets the glory and we get to co-operate with Him. Takes the pressure off, for sure. We just need to follow where He leads. For example...



The mud and torn up cobblestones gave every reason not to walk on and visit the small gallery who's sign was just in sight. Rain continued to fall steadily and everything in me wanted to take the train home, call it a day, and retreat with a hot cup of tea. Days of praying through the streets of Riga and in art galleries alone were beginning to take it's toll. I was discouraged!

Jesus words echoed through my head. "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?" They gave me the gumption to carry on and obey God's leading to begin in prayer in every gallery, for each artist, and don't be in a hurry.

So, in I went...

Gazing at the paintings, I recognised the work of an artist Kaspars Zarnis. Acknowledging the recognition and liking of the work audibly, a man behind me confirmed that it was Kaspars Zarins that painted it. The man who spoke was Kaspars himself. Converstation opened and in the end, he extended the opportunity for me to paint in his studio one night a week, learning from him.

My first class was last Thursday...











































9 comments:

Jim Baker said...

first off, love the photography here... you are such an artist in all ways, i love your writing style too... isn't crazy that sometimes we just want to give up and go home and then God speaks and blesses us beyond our imagination? thats so awesome that you'll be working with that guy... thank you for your faithfulness and obedience in the nation of latvia.

cheers
jim baker

Anonymous said...

You're awesome!-- God's best to you as you start this new journey-- Hugs & prayers, Dawn

Cheryl Brown said...

Me & my BS ladies were wondering just last night, where you were. It's great to hear from you. The Journey - looks great, I will visit often. As always, you inspire me. ("Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?") I always see His glory in you. Love & prayers, cb

Dagnia Tooth said...

Hi Elise,
I am so glad to read about your adventures! Looking forward to hearing more about your art lessons and contacts as the Lord guides your steps.
Lai Dievs Tevi sveti!

Unknown said...

Hey Elise what a great opportunity I am green, hope you enjoy it and get a lot from the time with the artist what a priveledge and a divine meeting. Great to hear from you take care and lots of love.

Vicki

Has said...

Hey this is such a great idea! VERY exciting and encouraging re art gallery. I will ping you for a chat some time soon, before I become temporarily indisposed... I'm so glad to hear you're settling in, looking forward to catching up in detail.
Love Selena.

Unknown said...

Hey Elise - How amazing to get the opportunity to learn from a master. You must be quite stoked with that. Friends of ours are heading to Riga at the end of September. I was hoping to introduce them to you when you were in Adelaide but it just couldn't happen. Sounds like you are on quite a 'journey'. We are doing ok - Rob has had more surgery in the last couple of days, but is ok (waterworks problem coming from the other surgery). Today the sun is shining and the birds are singing, so we feel good.

Blessings,
Judy and Rob

Louise said...

Wow!
I was wondering about you and Perth and how the school was progressing. Well it obviously is but without you! So I will get another trip to Latvjia...
So tell all and of course the important things...
Are you able to catch any of the rugby world cup with your Irish friends???

Louise said...

Hi Elise
How's the land of the long faces after being knocked out of the world cup by England - again!
Louise